Contract Accountant – British Telecom (Global Services)
Finance Manager (Contracts)
Key Purpose of Job:
• To provide robust financial management of complex in-life customer contracts. Ensuring
recognition of revenue and profit in line with company policy and appropriate accounting
• The role holder works independently, assisting and working with the Contract Managers to
ensure financial integrity of the assigned contracts.
• To ensure monthly financial and management accounts are prepared for the contracts
within the sector. This includes: revenue accruals /prepayments, cost of sales accruals/
prepayments, gross margin measurement and review, pay allocations, review of
depreciation, maintenance and other allocated charges and analysis of material variances
from budget and forecast.
• To maintain balance sheet integrity at all times being able to support balances and identify
risks and opportunities.
Budgeting, Forecasting & Reporting
• To submit the revenue and gross margin forecast in Forecasting cycles against published
timetables. To develop full understanding of risks and opportunities which underpin the
submission, including key performance metrics and their relationship with the financial
performance of the business.
• To support the contract/business managers with reporting, forecasting and analysis for their
portfolio of contracts including preparation of contract scorecards for material contracts.
• To provide regular short term forecasts of revenue and gross margin in line with the monthly
• Works proactively with the business managers to ensure maintenance of up to date risk
registers, adherence to processes and regular contract reviews by operational management.
• To identify and provide accurate, timely and fit for purpose financial insight for all aspects of
a Contract financial performance (specifically Revenue, Margin, Labour charges, allocations,
capital expenditure, Working capital)
Profitability improvement initiatives
• To work with contract managers to prepare and monitor profit action plans to improve
profitability and close gaps between forecast and target.
• To recognize and Deliver cost transformation opportunities with measurable outcomes.
Focuses on delivering bottom line and improving profitability. Harnesses best practices and
acts as implementer.
• To prepare and (within financial limits) authorise pricing for contract changes and to support
the Bids and Tenders team with the evaluation of complex and major change controls.
• To review and approve (within financial limits) all contract related operational and capital
• To actively support, at all times, company policy and best practice in the area of security,
with particular emphasis on the protection of sensitive customer information.
• To ensure that you are fully aware of the need to safeguard sensitive customer information
at all times, so that customers perceive BT to be a trustworthy organisation.
• To comply with BT’s published safety policy and ensure that continuous improvements are
made in safety performance areas within the job holders control.
• To understand the regulatory, fair trading and competition rules sufficiently to be able to
comply with them, relying on own knowledge or ability to recognise that specialist support
will be needed.
Qualifications required for this role:-
• Qualified Chartered accountant / MBA Finance (from reputed institute) with post
qualification experience of 7+ years.
• Technically focused but operationally proficient
• Strong technical knowledge and understanding of financial reporting policy and practice,
ensuring consistent accounting policy and treatment.
• Cross Functional Team Working.
• Proven ability to influence and facilitate good financial and business direction to internal and
• Works independently without need of much supervision.
• Excellent analytical skills and strong commercial awareness.
• Commercial insight and ability to understand short and medium term drivers
• Takes ownership for and delivers results
• Ability to identify and evaluate commercial and financial risk, and to take steps to mitigate
• Confidence, robustness and presence required to operate effectively
• Constantly challenges the status quo without being abrasive; continually seeks out best
• Ability to build relationships across a wide range of disciplines and levels of management,
both internally and externally
• Demonstrate creative thinking with an ability to share knowledge and experience
• Excellent spreadsheet skills (excel)
• Strong communication skills in both written and verbal mediums.
• Self motivated with a high degree of initiative and responsibility